Sunday, September 2, 2012

Happy Father's Day!!

DIY wrapping paper and gift wrapped by me

All my life, growing up in Malaysia, we celebrate Father's Day on the third Sunday in the month of June. 

So, it was a bit of a novelty for me to find out in 2010 when I first moved to Brisbane that the Aussies honour their daddies on the first Sunday in September instead.

If you clicked the wikipedia link above and read up on Father's Day, apparently different countries show their appreciation for their father's at different months of the year. Interesting.

Although my daddy wasn't in Australia, the next 'father figure' would be my uncle. Despite us not being as close as my father and I are, my uncle has been kind to us. Hence, Mr. C and I bought a little something to show our appreciation. 

As I was searching for some Father's day quote or poem to put in the card, I came across the below short story. I don't know the origin of this story and whether it is real or fiction. However, it is a touching story to share.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

One day an 11 year old girl asked her daddy, ”What are you going to get me for my 15th birthday? ” 

The father replied,”There is much time left.” 

When the girl was 14, she fainted and was rushed to the hospital. The doctor came out and told her dad she had a bad heart and that she is probably going to die. 

When she was lying in the hospital bed, she said “Daddy… Have they told You I am going to die?” 

The father replied, “No, you will live”, as he left weeping. 

She said, “ How can you be sure? ” 

He turned around from the door and said, ” I Know”. 

She turns 15 when she is recovering and comes home to find a letter on her bed. 

It says:  "My dearest daughter, if you are reading this, it means all went well as I told you. One day you asked me what I was giving you for your 15th birthday, I didn’t know then but now I know. My present to you is my hear."

 Her father had donated his heart!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I wonder if I would ever do such a grand gesture if the need calls for it. Besides, I would never expect my dad to give his heart for me just so I can live.

But the above story just brings to mind what God, our heavenly father has done, he gave His ONLY son for us, not that we deserve such amazing grace to begin with. And such is His love but instead of being appreciative, we take Him for granted or scorn and shun His gift.

Aaaah... to be a parent will not be an easy journey but nevertheless, the joy the little ones will bring. Or so I've been told.

No comments: