If you truly care for a person that has depression, don't ridicule them, don't stab them with emotional swords. Don't ever tell that someone you understand what they're going through when your very words shows otherwise.
1. Understand WHAT is depression. Just Google and you have an ocean full of information at your disposal.
2. Don't say you understand if you've never been through it because chances are... you don't!
3. Help them the way they need help. NOT the way you want to help them.
4. Remember, a depressed person is not a well person. I am not saying that person is cuckoo or mentally crazy but they're not well and they need your tender loving care (TLC). So, treat them accordingly! Don't expect them to think rationally like you.
5. Be very patient with the day to day help. People don't just snap out of depression just on a whim and fancy.
Here are some symptoms taken from HERE. The below symptoms are NOT the only ones. There are others. Just Google to get more info.
- constant feelings of sadness, irritability, or tension
- decreased interest or pleasure in usual activities or hobbies
- loss of energy, feeling tired despite lack of activity
- a change in appetite, with significant weight loss or weight gain
- a change in sleeping patterns, such as difficulty sleeping, early morning awakening, or sleeping too much
- restlessness or feeling slowed down
- decreased ability to make decisions or concentrate
- feelings of worthlessness, hopelessness, or guilt
- thoughts of suicide or death
So, do you think you have one or a few of the above symptoms? If you do, i hope that you have people who cares about you to help you through your depression.