Friday, December 17, 2010

My Mother Said Be Honest



Watched the above clip and tell me you don't want to smack the mother for such imbecilic manners.

The clip was about a mother telling the daughter to be honest. Her cutesie looking daughter uttered "cheebai" (Hokkien word for vagina) was bad enough but guess what the mother had to say in response to that??! And to have the audacity to post up such a post on youtube?! What's becoming of the world seriously? Going down the gutters, that's for sure!

And as for the people who commented on the clip said,"Cool parenting", I shudder at the thought of how the future will turn out.

Watch the clip and tell me if you think it was funny. Cos if it was, you should take your right hand and slap yourself across the face real hard. And I can just imagine your mother frowning at you so hard you poop in your pants.

Don't get me wrong. I am not sitting on my high horse passing judgment. Yeah sure, every once in awhile swear words come out of my mouth. I am not proud of it and I do not condone it. 5 years ago, you would never hear me utter such words. 2 years ago, I wouldn't have ever thought I would say such words. 1 year ago, out of frustration at always being a Miss goody-two-shoes coupled with certain bad influences in my life, I let go of who I though I was and started swearing.

But I know I don't want to set this kind of example for my children. I don't want my kids to be f-this and f-that. Or spewing all kinds of hate words. It'll be so crude and so rude. Society is conforming to what is dictated to be cool and the norm. To give in to our feelings. To release our tensions and frustrations as we see fit- by cussing like tomorrow never comes. What our parents teach us, just goes in an ear and out the other. Heck, even our parents utter those very words they tell us not to say!

Words like fuck aren't bad till we make them bad words. Words like stupid or shit or ass aren't nice things to say either. They're not bad words, they're just words that aren't positive. So, why say stuff like that? We have songs coming out with these "obscene" words and people out there hold no qualms about cursing like a drunken sailor.

These days, we don't care anymore if we offend anyone else's sensibilities. We don't think we should be polite and mind our P's and Q's. If you don't like what I say, then take a hike - that's the general thought. In fact, it's all the rage. It's cool. I had a guy friend who said that he wanted to be there for the very moment I said my first F-word, always ready to corrupt the then, innocent ol' me.

Do you know in olden times, saying the word "bloody" and even "damn" is deemed uncouth. Uncultured. Inappropriate. Words unfit for polite society. If these obscene words we used now, were used back then, you'd be considered a social pariah.

Swearing is just a bad habit. Just like how smoking is too. It's easy to pick up a bad habit then it is to maintain a good one. You can have a good habit for 20 years but all it takes is one weak moment to unravel that good habit.

I am not here to tell you not to swear. It's your prerogative but I am going to try and make more effort to stop saying rude words. Even if that's how I really feel right then. Even if it does release my frustrations and emotions. Even if it shows the depths of my feelings.

I wonder if the little girl understands the meaning or the connotation of those words?