Saturday, September 26, 2009

Bloated and stuffed dinner at Fong Lye

BLOG REVIEW: OMG!!! FATBOYBAKES' cake pictures looks EXTREMELY mouth watering and tantalising. I feel my willpower slipping away... NOOOooooo!!!!!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I was feeling rather upset on my way home yesterday due to my dad's inane rantings regarding what I would deem as the Raya weekend fiasco. Let's just say he didn't have to say the hurtful things regarding a certain someone and once again, that made me think that if I ever become like that, I would rather NOT have children, so that I won't pass down this "one-of-a-kind" genes.

And hence, I agreed to tag along when Gill, asked me to go MidValley with her for dinner with DanSan.

She felt like trying out some Taiwanese food and it was between Fong Lye OR an extremely long que to Sushi Zanmai. DanSan immediately said,"Taiwanese" without missing a beat. It was plain for all to see that the poor guy was hungry and refused to wait any longer than he had to for his dinner!

Overall, the place was brightly litted, hence, clear pictures! I liked the flower glass wall facing me that was situated behind Gill and DanSan. Gave a bit of a classy, modern ambience. The shop was actually rather packed but I must say the service is fast and efficient.

We had a little bit of a tough time deciding what to eat. Remember what did I tell you about how me and menus just don't mesh??

Anyways, we finally decided on the below.

For starters, or more like for desert, we had this sweet potato ball dish. Although the picture looked somewhat colourful and beckoning, the dish was only mediocre with our taste buds assaulted by tapioca flour taste more so than sweet potato, the erm... MAIN name of the dish. I

It would have been more appropriate to name it- airy tapioca ball.


You can get NICER, tastier ones in Cameron Highlands at the Brinchang pasar malam for probably half of the price charged at Fong Lye.

This was DanSan's dish. The tomato gravy basically tasted like baked beans sauce. The overall taste was not too bad and for a hungry person, this dish would be nice as it was served hot with a fire warming the dish. One can feel the warm egg or fish glide warmly from one's mouth to one's throat as it makes its way fulfillingly to the stomach.

With this dish came rice and other condiments ie sotong, potato and spring roll- the Taiwanese style. I didn't really fancy it though. Eck!

This was my dish for the evening. I made a mistake when I ordered as I forgot that Taiwanese food tend to have sweet sauces. And when it comes to black, dry noodles, I prefer mine savoury than sweet!

So, I didn't enjoy the taste of the dish. It was just average with nothing to shout about and not what I would recommend to anyone. Mine, too came with the same condiments as DanSan's dish. Er.. yucks! =p

One would think that anything served with wine would turn out tasty. Boy, were we wrong. This was just like any other normal fried rice, only at a costlier price. When Gill decided to order this, I told her that I actually also had that in mind as it looked yummy. Just that I wanted to give the noodle a try. Even if it didn't tanked, the price was just not as it is. I feel it should only be RM5.50 or less.

For my drink, despite my "lose weight and save money" resolution, I decided to give Milk tea in France style a try. Seeing that I have a penchant for teh pings (iced milk tea).

URGH! I regretted it. The taste of it was odd that I don't even know how to describe it. Let's just say that Kayu's or any mamak's teh ais (iced milk tea) would have been waaay better and cheaper.

Overall, we were stuffed and FULL from our meal BUT it wasn't satisfactory in terms of taste and price. The food was overpriced for such ordinary taste. Makes me wonder why was it even fully patronised??

If you think that I am being too harsh, you can read KampongBoyCityGal's not so favourable review over here.

Location:
Fong Lye Taiwan Restaurant
Lot T208
3rd Floor
The Gardens
Mid Valley City
Kuala LumpurTel No: 03- 2282 8699
(Non Halal. Open daily till 10pm.)



Posted by Picasa

No comments: